May 15, 2021  
2017-2018 College Catalog 
2017-2018 College Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]


Admission Requirements

Open Admissions
Tri-County Technical College operates as an open-admissions college as required by the 1976 Code of Laws of South Carolina, as amended. As such, Tri-County Technical College makes every effort to minimize geographic, financial, and scholastic barriers to the post-secondary programs and services offered by the College. A high school diploma or high school equivalent credential (e.g., GED), though desirable, is not a prerequisite for admission to the College, but is required for admission to diploma and degree programs.

In order to promote achievement by individuals with varied potential, open admissions is defined as a practice which (1) admits to the College all citizens who can benefit from available learning opportunities, and (2) places into specific programs of study only students whose potential for success is commensurate with program admission standards.

General Admissions Requirements
Applicants to certificate, diploma, or degree programs must meet the following requirements for admission to the College.

  • Complete an application for admission.
  • Submit a non-refundable application fee.
    • Exceptions to payment of the application fee requirement are as follows:
      • Veterans;        
      • Current Tri-County Technical College employees;
      • Connect to College students transitioning to Tri-County as first-time post-secondary students within two terms of their high school graduation;
      • TSS students transitioning to Tri-County as degree-seeking within two terms of successfully completing coursework in initial TSS-related program(s);
      • Students applying to enroll in targeted academic programs such as Dual Enrollment, Bridge Programs, Connect to College, TSS related programs, 1+1 Consortium Agreements (Dual Enrollment students who apply to continue at the College after high school graduation are required to pay the application fee);
      • High school seniors from Anderson, Oconee, and Pickens counties who apply during college application events sponsored by the South Carolina Commission on Higher Education or by the College;
      • Readmitted students who reapply within one year of the most recent term of post-secondary admission to Tri-County; and
      • Returning students who apply within three years of the last term of post-secondary enrollment at Tri-County.
    • The application fee payment may be deferred based on economic hardship (e.g., unemployment, ward of court, free and reduced lunch) by submitting an application fee deferral request form, which is available by calling the Admissions Office at 864.545.1550.
    • The application fee requirement will be evaluated and determined as students apply to the College. The fee amount is subject to change but will be published on the public website and communicated through correspondence from the Admissions Office. Additional exceptions to the above list must be approved by the Dean of College Transitions, or designee.
  • Provide satisfactory placement test scores or transcripts showing math and English college coursework.
    • Satisfactory placement test scores in reading, writing, and math must be no more than three years old and must meet the minimum reading score for admission (Bridge to Clemson students may be admitted prior to completion of the College’s placement assessment requirements.)
    • Students not eligible for admission based on earning below the minimum reading score as defined by the College’s Placement Criteria chart may be referred to Adult Basic Education or other literacy programs as appropriate.
    • Proof of college credit level English and math courses (e.g., 101, 155 or higher) requires a minimum grade of “C” or higher. 
    • Bridge to Clemson students may be admitted prior to completion of the College Placement assessment requirements
    • Students enrolling in TSS-related programs may be admitted as non-degree students without taking the placement assessment.
  • Submit a final, official high school transcript from an accredited or approved institution or an approved official high school equivalency score report.
    • Graduating high school seniors will be admitted pending receipt of final, official high school transcript. A priority deadline for receiving transcripts is established for each term and published on the website. Students who have not submitted final, official transcripts by the tuition payment deadline as published on the enrollment calendar each term will have their schedules cancelled and a hold will be placed on their registration until the transcript has been received.
    • If a student indicates on the admissions application that he/she did not recieve a high school diploma or approved equivalency, the student will be admitted only into a certificate program.
  • Submit final, official college transcripts for all previously attended colleges or universities. Transcripts for all prior college coursework must be received and evaluated for all institution types, regardless of dates of attendance or level of success at the previous institution. 

Minimum Age for Admission
Applicants to the College must be 17 years of age to be admitted. Applicants younger than 17 years of age who do not have a high school diploma or approved equivalency and who are not seeking Dual Enrollment are required to meet with the Dean of College Transitions, or designee, for an assessment interview to determine readiness for admission. Regardless of age, all students must meet program specific admissions criteria and requirements.

Dual Enrollment Students
Applicants who will take college courses while also enrolled in high school may be admitted as Dual Enrollment students. Dual Enrollment applicants are admitted into the University Studies certificate program (or an approved career pathway certificate) once the application for admission is submitted and the permission form is obtained with appropriate signatures from the parent or guardian and the high school principal/counselor. Home schooled students must provide permission from the parent or guardian and from the school district or an authorized educational agency with jurisdiction over the home school. No application fee is required. High school students who are not juniors or seniors must receive permission to enroll from the Director of High School Engagement and Outreach or designee.

Connect to College Students
Applicants who desire to take college courses (and possibly high school courses offered through VirtualSC) and who are sponsored by a public high school in Anderson, Oconee, and Pickens counties may be admitted as Connect to College (C2C) students. Applicants are admitted into the University Studies certificate program once the application for admission is submitted and the C2C office obtains the sponsorship form with appropriate signatures from a high school or district official. No application fee is required.

Transient Students
Applicants enrolled at another college desiring to transfer one or more Tri-County courses to their home college may be admitted as transient students. Applicants must submit an application for admission, pay the application fee, and submit the Transient Coursework Approval form prior to registration. Satisfaction of course prerequisites must be verified by submitting either official or unofficial transcripts.

Non-Degree Students
Applicants not seeking admission into a degree, diploma, or certificate program may be admitted as non-degree students. Applicants must submit an application for admission, pay the application fee, and take the placement test. A general exception to the placement test requirement is allowed for students in TSS-related programs.Addittional exceptions to testing may be granted on a case by case basis by the Dean of College Transitions or designee. All course prerequisites must be satisfied.

International Students 
Applicants who are non-citizens or non-permanent residents of the United States may be admitted to the College if they hold visas that are eligible for post-secondary studies or who have documented and verified lawful presence in the country. Tri-County does not issue Form I-20s for F-1 student visas. The College does allow international students who hold valid F-1 student visas issued from other institutions to apply as transient students. Eligible international applicants must meet all admissions requirements as outlined in this Catalog and must maintain visa status and immigration documents in the manner required by the Department of Homeland Security. Any international student who does not maintain the appropriate status will be withdrawn from the College.

Placement Testing

The purpose of placement testing is to make sure students have the necessary skills in reading, writing, or math to be successful in achieving their educational goals. Even though the placement test is a computer-based test, very little computer skills are necessary to complete the test. The placement test is not a pass/fail test.

All students (except transient students) must take the placement test. Students may be exempt from all or a portion of the placement test if they have completed college courses in English or math at the 101 level or higher from an accredited or approved institution with a minimum grade of “C” or if they have previously taken a placement test and have sufficient scores. Placement test scores are valid for three years. Students who are unsure if they need to take the placement test should contact Admissions to determine if placement testing is required.

SAT, ACT, or other standardized test scores cannot be substituted for the placement test. The placement test is given in the Assessment Center in Miller Hall on the Pendleton Campus. Testing hours are Monday through Thursday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. and Friday from 8 a.m. to 12 p.m. The placement test is also given on a limited basis at the Anderson, Easley, and Oconee Campuses. For further information about testing schedules, call 864-646-1300.

A picture ID is required for placement testing. Acceptable forms of identification are a state-issued picture ID (a driver’s license, for example), a military ID, or an official school ID (high school or college). To access sample test questions and download study material visit

There is no charge for initial placment testing. If a retest is needed or requested during a three-year period, one may be taken at a cost of $10. An academic advisor or the Assessment Center can help determine if retesting is needed. Other fees are applicable to complete placement testing for another institution or to have prior test scores sent to another institution.

Alternative placement testing for students with disabilities is available as approved by the College’s Accessibility Resource Center located on the Pendleton Campus, Student Center, Suite 155, 864-646-1564.

For more information about placement testing, call 864-646-1300 or visit


The College requires orientation sessions for all new, transfer, and readmitted students prior to the start of each semester. Orientation introduces students to the College experience, informs them about resources and services they will use as Tri-County students, and facilitates their transition into their chosen academic programs.  Orientation registration instructions are provided to students in their admission materials.  The orientation sessions are held on a variety of dates at multiple campuses and are offered in individual and group formats. As part of orientation, students meet with advisors for course planning and course registration. For more information, contact the Office of Recruitment, Admissions, and Orientation, 864-646-1502 or

In addition to the general College orientation, some departments offer orientation or information sessions specific to their programs. The appropriate departments notify students regarding program-specific sessions.